This bizarre mural on the southeast corner of N7th and Bedford has been the topic of conversation at Hyperallergic HQ.
Without an obvious reference, the mural reminded us of Kehinde Wiley and other artists who love going “over-the-top.” The mural is, after a little bit of a Google search, obviously advertising Mob Wives, but isn’t it unusual to not see the program’s name writ large on these polished street ads.
Another curious thing about this mural is how it fits into the memorial mural culture of the area. Often created by local Puerto Ricans, but not limited to that cultural group, the memorial murals often commemorate someone’s life and not their life on tv.
Photo by Ben Valentine for Hyperallergic
Posted by hragv
- femaleincontinence reblogged this from hyperallergic
- llamasxkore likes this
- workbyart reblogged this from hyperallergic
- lepanopticon likes this
- severemiddlechildsyndrome likes this
- dirtyhipppy reblogged this from hyperallergic
- ratfightbehindthefridge likes this
- volleyballspike reblogged this from hyperallergic
- eec likes this
- sweatnap likes this
- mroge reblogged this from hyperallergic
- audreymed likes this
- katieferrari likes this
- talkingfiction likes this
- tenwords likes this
- berezina likes this
- ayemarshmellowz likes this
- hyperallergic posted this